Monday, December 22, 2008

Life in the Slow Lane

From Chacala, Nayarít, Mexico

I was working on the internet as usual in the morning yesterday. As the day progressed, I knew when I would take a break, do my beach walk, buy some fruit, and stop to see if the woman at the trinket stand found any good yarn paintings for me in Tepic. I had a plan.

Earlier than the plan called for, a niggling feeling started that wanted me to leave the house. I recognized it as one of those possibilities that Life offers for adventure, so I let go of my project in progress and prepared to leave. Then, more e-mail came, a house detail was crying out, and time went by.

I was aware of a voice telling me I was blowing Life’s invitation, but I let it be, and continued to do what I was doing. In time, I walked out the door, in the flow, wondering what to expect. I have tenants in an upstairs unit here that are here from the previous owner. They are an architect and engineer working at a subdivision of villas behind “The Gate” at Marina Chacala. It was Saturday, and they were preparing to leave to be with their families in another town.

They were waiting for someone to arrive with their door key, so we had a chance to chat a bit for the first time. I asked them if they knew an English-speaking expert that might consult with me about some drainage problems in my back yard. The new neighbor has changed the grade of his lot, and now there is no place for the summer rain (deluges) to drain out of my yard.

After I showed one of them the situation, he said, When would be a good day? What? A good day to bring a machine in here, clean out the dead trees and trash, and then bring in the fill dirt you need? Er. . .uh. . .Tuesday? OK, we’ll be here.

A gift.

The key arrived, and they left to be with their families. And I stood in amazement. And simple gratitude to Life.

I thought, No point in stopping now. I walked into town, and my future neighbor was sitting on the stoop of his store enjoying a beer. I walked past, said Hello (well, Hola, actually), went about twenty feet (well, seven meters, actually) and Life tapped me on the shoulder. Ahem!

Oh! I went back, and we began our first real conversation, talking about his family, his building plans, my drainage, and more. He suggested that now would be a good time to bring in trucks of fill, before he starts building next month, so the trucks can cross his property to get to my back yard. I smiled and said “Tuesday.”

He gave me a tour of the very beautiful home he built above his store, which he intends to rent to Chacala visitors after we are neighbors. I left knowing that everything was in place as it should be in the universe.

The beach walk was great, even if it was ahead of schedule! And the two Huichol and Tepehuano yarn paintings were gorgeous, so I brought them home to grace my walls.



FOOTNOTE
: In Santa Rosa, CA, if Life niggled me to walk outside, I would usually find an empty street because everyone would be somewhere else. So I would walk to my neighborhood Community Market, say Hello, and buy some chocolate. I like this better. However! Life does not care about location, only realtors do. Life is here, as us, always saying Ahem! to us through our bodies. I am grateful for this lifestyle that is slow enough and flexible enough that I get to listen.

Thank you, LIFE!



Now, back to that project.

••••••••


LATE BREAKING NEWS:
Susana from Casa Pacifica just dropped by to let me know her breakfast restaurant, Mauna Kea, opens tomorrow on her rooftop overlooking Chacalilla beach, the ocean, and the whales. She will have great “American” breakfasts, wireless access and phones for those addicted, and flyers, maps, and event information for new visitors to Chacala. Photos to follow—after my first breakfast!

PS: Susana is looking for someone who wants to take over the restaurant. There is a living space on the roof, too. Ready for a new life?

1 comment:

Unknown said...

I love that room on the roof of Susannas; had thought about crafting a small house of my own after it. :-)
What a brilliant dream Allan.
And all that's to be done is to let it unfold.
:-)
Kristy